Chingford 21 - 26 CRUFC U15
I have to be honest and say that I didn't expect a win this morning. We
had at least 20 players missing, so to get a team out at all was a great
achievement and shows how well the squad has held up through the
season. We had two cry-offs, so turned up with 14 and begged Chingford
player to give us 15.
The sun shone strongly again and the welcome was as warm, the defeat
taken well and aggression all channelled in exactly the right manner..
How different it all was from leaving Oundle a week ago.
We had two backs playing in the back row; Theo carrying an injury and
were up against a big Chingford side with 7 replacements. All of the
Cambridge contingent on the sideline were delighted as Chingford were
driven back in scrum, ruck, tackle and by uncharacteristic pressure in
the loose - not only that but when we had the ball it was moved swiftly
wide and line breaks were made at will. In the first 20 minutes 2 tries
should have been four or five. Much of the damage was done by Nick
Greaves who along with Luke Mulley had answered the call to arms, having
both only played half a game for us this season. Nick's running in the
centre was excellent and Luke's passing and kicking was quality.
Chingford changed tactics in the second-half, having scored just before
half-time; they kept the ball tight and ran their big men at us and
off-loaded brilliantly. In one section of play they went from their
twenty-two to ours continuously off-loading, our lads, already tired and
scuffed from the hard ground, didn't miss a tackle and after 12 tackles
forced the ball into touch. From the resulting lineout the ball was
moved through hands and a superb try scored at the other end - it was
I am going to mention all the players as they all deserve it:
1. Shep - Outstanding, scrummaged well and was ever-present in the loose
2. Callum Cleaver - didn't bleed too much (OK, he did quite well but
don't tell him I said so)
3. Callum Burgess - tireless and fearless, propping against the biggest
lump I have seen on an U15s pitch
4. Aaron Long - a genuinely good game, hit rucks hard, carried well,
passed well and should have scored.
5. Tom (Chingford) - Good lad, worked hard and got his reward: the only
Chingford player on a winning side
6.Robbie - (exchanged places with Harry) - great carries and once he
decided to tackle low was as effective in defence. Took a bang to the
head and carried on regardless.
7. Ollie Townsend - Thoroughly enjoyed himself, tackled, turned over,
supported and kicked quite well once
8. Theo - injured but turned up and played anyway. Even with a bruised
leg he still did enough to upset the opposition, a player you always
want on your side.
9. Matt - a full game behind a small pack and did very will - getting
the ball away quickly and throwing himself in the path of the opposition
10. Luke - created and kicked well to release pressure and got the
defensive line up quickly
11. Jack - saw a lot of ball and kept it alive well, hugely disappointed
to be held up over the line
12. Sam Seg - a new position possibly? Found gaps, passed and tackled well
13. Nick Greaves - one to work on, had a great game making breaks
whenever he had the ball
14. Harry - One of his best games, showed he has pace and determination
and when in the backrow fought for everything
15. Henry - Another impressive performance at fullback, ran the ball
back well and one monster tackle to stop their biggest player counter
attacking from his clearance kick.
Team performance was more than the sum of the individuals - well done!