Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Cambridge RUFC


3rd XV - Match centre

Shelford 3 (Cup Final)
Cambridge RUFC
Sat 22 Apr TBC - Cup Full time

Cambridge retain Intermediate County Cup

Cambridge 3rd XV defeat Shelford 30-10

Intermediate County Cup
Cambridge 3rd XV 30 – 10 Shelford 3rd XV
A quite sunny and pleasant day saw the team and supporters make the drive to Wisbech for a repeat of last years final against Shelford. We are very appreciative of the support we've had all season from family and friends and it was great to see so many make the drive.
The CUDDRS team of 3 was led by Jon Evans and we thank them for their efforts. The game was a great advertisement for the social level of rugby and was a physical but skilful encounter. Shelford having beaten us well in January and topped us in the league were probably slight favourites though were missing their captain who regularly runs in tries against us.
Shelford exerted the pressure at the start of the game as Cambridge took time to settle. With most of the play in the Cambridge half, who were playing against the wind, a penalty on our 22 was slotted over by the Shelford 10.
Cambridge then started to get going, a break from the base of the scrum by Dex, who fed Hugh and having drawn in the defender sent Carl away down the right wing and he tested the full back who made a good tackle on the 22.
The Cambridge scrum exerted pressure throughout the game with Jed taking a number against the head and Shelford ball was disrupted numerous times. A sniping run from Hugh from a ruck on our 10m line with a chip and chase saw a knock on with a scrum on their 10m line. Ben stepped inside the 10 handed off the scrum half then failed to step the full back so ended up running through him on score. Ben nailed the conversion
22min 7-3
Almost immediately we scored again, good work from the forwards saw Hugh feed the ball to Ben flat and he crashed over. Though missed with the conversion
25min 12-3
The game went to and fro and we lost Ryan to a shoulder injury with Aston coming on to replace him. Then we made a good break down the right through Carl and John if memory serves. Quick ball on the Shelford 22 and a miss pass to Aston who instead of using Emmanuel in a 2 on 1 decided to chip, Emmanuel gathered and stepped inside 2 defenders to dive over for a quality finish! Darren's comment on the chip can't be repeated! Ben converted.
40min 19-3
There was time for Shelford to mount another attack which saw the Shelford 11 tackled by the 5m line, however the shout of pain indicated a serious injury, and Jon called half time as Gareth was attended by Molly and the AR. A dislocated knee had the ambulance called and a delay to the game. We hadn't heard how Gareth was as of Saturday night but we wish him well, it had actually popped back in as the ambulance staff got him onto the stretcher.
Shelford came out fired up in the second half and we spent what felt like 20 mins camped in our own 22. A break down the blind side and a chip through saw the ball bounce up nicely for the Shelford 15 to score under the posts.
19-10 45 min
As we eased back into the game we exerted more pressure which led to Shelford infringements in front of the posts. Pragmatically we took the opportunity of the points and Ben slotted over from the 22m line
22-10 59 min
And then from just on halfway
25-10 68 min
A loose ball on the right saw Matt Cote hack the ball through and then regain possession. Four phases of forward play saw us then spin the ball wide with Aston then going over on the left. Having had his issues with the ref he was then subbed as a reward

Which club gets your vote? Voting opens in Jewson Building Better Communities

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors